Yesterday, I heard the Joe Diffie song, Third Rock from the Sun. The lyrical motif of the song (the chorus) is as follows:
Cause and effect, chain of events
All of the chaos makes perfect sense
When you’re spinning ’round, things come undone
Welcome to Earth, third rock from the sun
That got me thinking about the chaos caused by the Pandemic and how one thing leads to another. We were unable to host weddings in our pavillion this summer so it definitely impacted our bottom line but the cancellation of weddings/events also impacts many more small to medium businesses:
- Printing companies are not printing invitations, menus and signage for events
- Wedding dress sales and tuxedo rentals are down
- Chefs, catering companies and bartending services are not cooking and/or serving
- Rental companies have warehouses full of tents, tables, chairs, dishes, glassware, linens and décor items that are not being rented and the staff that manage the ordering, delivery, set up and cleaning of these items have little or no work
- Shuttle and limo services have nowhere to go
- Wedding cake designers and dessert companies are baking less
- Photographers and videographers are not behind their lenses as often
- DJ’s are not playing as many tunes
- Wedding Officiants will not have as many weddings to preside over
- Diamonds are not a girl’s best friend right now so sales are probably down; a best friend with a bottle of wine might be more useful…..Lol
- And what about wine? Without weddings liquor sales should be down but I think we are all making up for the shortfall in wedding liquor sales!
- Many venues have been impacted by event cancellations this year: hotels, wineries, restaurants, art galleries, farms, golf courses, greenhouses and community halls just to name a few.
- Don’t get me started on travel for honeymoons or travel for any reason!
You can probably take any one of these businesses and behind them will be many other individuals/and or businesses that are impacted! The lists would go to infinity and beyond!
To that end, I would like to thank everyone who is making the effort to Shop Local and Support Small Businesses whenever possible. We need you more than ever right now! Please think about that when you set out to do your Christmas shopping this year.
Let’s toast the end of this year and look forward to a better year in 2021. Here’s to our guests at the ranch; the new ones, the ones who visited again and those that we haven’t met yet!